Any type of building project starts out with a set of plans. After discussing the ideas for a new construction project, particularly for a Maui residence, creating the design and plans is the first step that leads to the beginning of the building. Drafting plan designs is an essential part of the architectural and construction process. They guide the construction team in taking a conceptual design and turning it into a physical structure.
Plans are used for permitting, construction, and as reference documents throughout the building’s life cycle. They are vital to ensuring that the building is constructed as intended and meets safety, functionality, and aesthetic requirements.
Different stages of the project require different types of plans. At Pro Draft, we understand what it takes for each type of design plan. These plans are critical for communication between architects, builders, contractors, and other stakeholders involved in the construction process.
Drafting plan designs can take several forms. At Pro Draft, we produce five different types of plans, three of which are applicable to residential projects:
- Permit sets contain the information you need to apply for a construction permit
- Construction sets contain more details about the construction method
- The architectural set contains the highest level of detail, including interior design if desired (these higher-level plans are produced by CAD software for the most granular representation of the finished project, and include:
- Floor plans
- Other visuals of the house
- Site plans
This video explains more about drafting plan designs for residential projects.
There are other types of plans as well:
- Electrical and plumbing plans, detail the layout of electrical wiring, outlets, switches, and plumbing fixtures within a building and ensure that electrical and plumbing systems are installed correctly.
- Mechanical plans, focus on the design and layout of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems within a structure, along with information on ductwork, equipment placement, and ventilation layouts.
- Structural plans that outline the load-bearing elements of a building, i.e., beams, columns, and foundations, along with essential information for the building’s structural integrity.
- Landscape plans for homes and other projects with outdoor spaces, landscape plans detail the design and placement of elements like plants, trees, pathways, and hardscapes that create an attractive and functional outdoor environment.
- Fire safety and evacuation plans specify the locations of fire exits, fire alarms, fire extinguishers, and evacuation routes to ensure occupant safety in an emergency.
However, all these types of plans may not be necessary for each client’s project.
PRO DRAFT FOR ALL YOUR ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN NEEDS
Pro Draft is now offering discounted services to those affected by the wildfires in Lahaina and Kihei. Call us for details.
When you’re ready to begin building a house in Maui, remodeling, or adding to your home or commercial property, Pro Draft can help with architecture, drawings, blueprints, and permits, and answer all of your questions before the first day of construction. We’re happy to help and will work to ensure your project is exactly the way you envision.