Maybe you’ve found the ideal place to build your home, and the next step is to design your ideal home, or add an Ohana. Perhaps your home is a little outdated, and you’re planning to do some interior redesigning. Or you’ve decided on some remodeling to decrease your carbon footprint, increase sustainability, and make it “greener.”
If you’re planning on any kind of home building, remodeling or renovation, your first step into bringing your vision to life is to find the people who can make it happen. Part of this group is an architectural drafting firm in Hawaii.
Architect Vs. Architectural Design
Simply put, an architect is the person who puts your ideas for your home or home remodeling together into a cohesive plan.
The architectural design company is the one who takes those collected ideas and turns them into drawings, blueprints, and 3D CAD plans so that you can take them to a builder. They also understand local laws, building codes, and other requirements so that your project is built properly without any structural or other potential problems. Because Maui has unique environmental needs, a home or commercial structure has to be able to withstand Mother Nature’s wrath at a critical moment.
Preparation For The Meeting
When meeting with an architectural design firm, you’ll have a number of things to discuss. An easy way to keep track of everything is to create a meeting agenda and list everything you want to ask and accomplish.
Collect and organize all of your ideas you want to use. Whether you use pictures, PowerPoint, a flash drive or some other medium, have them ready to go for your initial meeting. It’s important for you to have a handle on everything so you can effectively discuss your ideas and present your concept.
Your budget is also an important part of the discussion. Have your budget number available, with the understanding that your project may run as much as 20% more than you think it will. Careful planning will keep your project within your budget confines.
A timeline is also an important factor in a home or commercial building project, so know what kind of time frame you have and what you’ll need to complete it.
Asking The Right Questions
If you’re not sure what to discuss, here are some questions you should ask:
- What are your credentials?
- How long have you been designing?
- Who would I be working with on this project? How involved would they be?
- Do you have specific builders that you prefer to work with?
- When would a builder get involved, and how are the contracts structured?
- Is this project achievable within my budget?
- What are the major obstacles you foresee in this project, and how can we work through them?
- What about changes in the project? When can we request them, and what might they mean to the project?
- What drawings can I expect from a complete section of construction documents?
- What fees are involved, and how do you charge them?
- May I speak to your previous clients or references?
You should also check out a firm’s online reviews, and ask about any inconsistencies you may find.
Pro Draft: Your Architectural Drafting Firm in Hawaii
When you’re ready to begin building, remodeling, or adding to your home or commercial property, Pro Draft can help with architecture, drawings, blueprints, permits, and answer all of your questions before the first day of construction. We’re happy to help, and will work to ensure your project is exactly the way you envision.